A Transplant Journey

RECYCLED PARTS: one family's journey with heart transplantation

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Okay, so this picture is pre-transplant [only hours pre-transplant], but
doesn't it look like it Michael could be at the biopsy clinic? : )
As time progresses, Michael has biopsies less frequently.  However, he is scheduled for two this week. Once a heart transplant patient becomes more stable, their biopsies are no longer at Toronto General Hospital but rather, are performed at Toronto Western Hospital.  On Tuesday, Michael was schedule for biopsy at the Western.  The fantastic Dr. Delgado attempted the biopsy through the jugular.  However, after attempts on both sides of the neck, Dr. Delgado was unsuccessful.  As a result, Michael's biopsy was rescheduled for Friday at the General.  Hopefully, Michael's jugular veins will cooperate on Friday!  If not, the doctor may have to go through the artery in the groin - meaning, a very, very long day at the hopsital with a lot of pressure to stop bleeding.  So much work for such a small piece of his heart!  Fingers crossed.

6 comments:

Andrea said...

Oh this is frustrating... I'm surprise he's going to Western so soon. I thought it was much later after transplant we would go to Western. I hope Friday goes better! Hugs to the family!

Anonymous said...

The last biopsy went well with no rejection. The neck is getting scar tissue but still seems viable. I am hoping for a med reduction soon, the pills are a small meal in themselves.

Michael

Anonymous said...

Biopsey tomorrow morning. So far so good.

Anonymous said...

The biopsey results are in with a 1A rejection. AQlways a concern, but I figure that the prendizone was reduced so it is not too bad. I have added ahlopurinol to the mix for the gout flare ups. Good news and hopefully more to come.

Mike

Anonymous said...

! year has arrived and I am still here. A little dramatic, but after the past 2 years, it is appropriate. The CMV infection is still with me but seems managable. I still require a nap in the afternoon. Many thanks to my wife, my kids, my sister, my folks and the many friends who helped me through this troublesome time. A bright road ahead with many more years to come.

Mike

Anonymous said...

The last biopsey was clear. Just need to settle this CMV business. I still can't get use to the weekly needles to check the CMV levels.

SO far so good,

Mike